CAT (Common Admission Test) is the national level entrance exam for admission to postgraduate management programs in IIMs and other elite B-Schools in the country. IIMs have decided to conduct CAT 2018 on 25th November, 2018 (Sunday) across the nation.
CAT 2018 Official Notification released by IIM Calcutta on July 29 while the online registration commences on August 08 and candidates can apply online at iimcat.ac.in.
The online application form window will open soon after the release of CAT 2018 Official Notification. CAT 2018 Registration can be completed online at iimcat.ac.in. The minimum eligibility to apply is a graduate degree in a relevant discipline.
CAT is conducted in online mode (computer based test) and organized annually by one of the participating IIMs in rotation. As per the latest official reports, IIM Calcutta is expected to be organizing authority for CAT and Professor Sumanta Basu is expected to be the convener this time.
Get latest news and updates of CAT 2018 by entering your details in below given form:
Overview of CAT Exam
- CAT is conducted to fill nearly 4,000 odd seats offered by IIMs besides other premier management institutions that offer admission to their programs based on CAT 2018 Scores.
- Besides IIMs, other top management institutions such as FMS Delhi, SPJIMR, MDI Gurgaon, IMT Ghaziabad, etc. are expected to accept CAT score for admission.
- CAT 2018 Official Notification is expected to release at iimcat.ac,in in the month of July-August.
- IIM Calcutta is going to organize CAT after a gap of almost six years. More than 2 lac aspirants are expected to apply for the test based on previous year trends.
- TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) is expected to be the Test Conducting Agency.
- Registration for CAT is expected to commence from August-2018.
- CAT 2018 Application Fee is increased from INR 1800 to INR 1900. Relaxation in fee to candidates from reserved category.
- CAT Exam Pattern comprises three sections – VARC, DILR and Quant. Total 100 MCQs are to be solved in a period of 180 minutes.
- IIMs will release mock test for CAT couple of months before the scheduled exam date.
- There is no bar on the age limit or number of attempts for CAT aspirants.
People Also Read About
CAT Exam 2018 Calendar (Tentative)
|Notification release date||July 29, 2018|
|Registration commencement||August 08, 2018|
|Last date for Online Registration||September 19, 2018|
|Issue of Admit Card||October 24, 2018|
|CAT 2018 Exam date||November 25, 2018|
|Result Announcement||January 2018|
Official CAT 2018 Advertisement
CAT 2017 Paper Analysis
CAT 2017 was conducted in two slots – Slot 1 in the morning and Slot 2 in the evening. There were three sections in the paper, Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability.
Slot 1 exam was quite similar to its CAT 2016 counterpart in terms of difficulty, although the general consensus was that the Data Interpretation and logical reasoning section was the most difficult part.
For slot 2, the paper was relatively harder, with the hardest part again being the Data Interpretation and logical reasoning portion, while Quantitative analysis was the easiest part.
|Sections||MCQ Questions||Non- MCQ Questions||Total Questions||Total Time Allotted|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||24||10||34||60|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||27||7||34||60|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||24||8||32||60|
CAT Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for CAT Exam are as follows:
Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% marks from recognized University/ College. Students from scheduled caste (SC), scheduled tribe (ST) and persons with disability (PWD) categories must have at least 45% marks.
There no bar on the age limit or number of attempts to qualify in CAT Exam. Only Indian Nationals are eligible to sit for CAT. Provision of seat reservation in IIMs for candidates from various categories is applicable as per the norms of Government of India.
Click here to get detailed information on Eligibility Criteria
CAT Application Process
- Students need to visit official website to register for CAT exam. The official website is www.iimcat.ac.in. The initial step is to register and create a user profile.
- After successfully registering yourself on the official CAT website, a CAT user ID and Password will be sent to your registered mobile number. This ID and password will be unique for every individual. Keep it safe and do not share it with anyone.
- Use your CAT user ID to login and fill the CAT application form. The application form consists of in total 5 separate sections.
- Upload your photograph, signature and other necessary documents as per the given specifications.
- You can select up to 4 cities as your preferred test centres. However, the exam center will be assigned only after the registration process ends.
- The last section consists of payment. You can pay using Net Banking/ Credit Card/ Debit Card.