CAT (Common Admission Test) 2018 is scheduled for November 25, 2018 in online mode. With limited time frame, it is pretty obvious study only from quality resources and avoid reading stuff which is irrelevant to CAT. As per the experts, the most important point that needs to be considered is studying from the right study materials and reference books.
The benefit of using these recommended CAT study material is that you can search almost all the questions online and you can also find discussions related to a particular question on several forums. Most importantly it saves a lot of time wasted to search for the required material. Choosing the best books for CAT is definitely a big hassle with a large number of books and study materials available in the market. Well it is usually beneficial to go ahead tried and tested sources.
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern includes questions on Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude. The duration of the exam is 3 hours. You must be thinking about what books to refer to score well in CAT 2018. Well, to know more about the best books and study materials for CAT, read the article given below.
Best Study Material for CAT 2018
As we all know, only two months are left for CAT 2018. Most of the aspirants must already be preparing in full swing. Some students may also started revising topics and also been solving mock tests regularly. But, there are chances that some students might have not started their preparation yet.
It’s always better to start your preparation as early as possible and in order to succeed in the examination, you need to ensure that your preparation and revision is on the right track. Some of the best books for each section which you can refer to while preparing for CAT 2018 are given below:
Study Material for VARC
This section is very scoring if you study from the reference books mentioned below:
- How to Prepare for the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay (Tata McGraw-Hill) – This book consists of questions and tips based on past year CAT question papers.
- ‘Word Power Made Easy’ by Norman Lewis
- The ‘GMAT Official Guide’, ‘IMS R100’ and ‘Manhattan Verbal’ as recommended by CAT 2017 topper Hitesh Lohani
To build your vocabulary, you need to study from the below mentioned books:
- Pocket Guide to Vocabulary by Barron
- Nishit Sinha’s ‘The Pearson guide to VALR’
- Regularly read newspapers and solve word puzzles
Study Material for DILR
To boost your preparation level, it is advised that you have to follow the books mentioned below.
- Arun Sharma’s ‘How to prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT (Tata McGraw Hill)
- How to prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma (Tata McGraw Hill)
- The Pearson Guide to Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation by Nishit Sinha
- To boost your score in DI and LR, you need to study from the book titled as ‘Puzzles to Puzzle You’ by Shakuntala Devi
Newspapers and Business Magazines
To solve business related sets in DILR section of the CAT question paper, it’s very important that you solve plenty of pie charts and graphs available in business magazines. Some of the resources recommended by CAT experts are:
- The Economic Times
- The Economist
- Business Standard
- Financial Express
Study Material for Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
Based on information gathered from CAT toppers, it is advised that you can definitely go for the below mentioned books to strengthen your QA section.
- How to Prepare for QA for CAT by Arun Sharma – This book is pre-equipped with three different difficulty levels
- How to Prepare for CAT by Muhamed Muneer – This book is written in an easy to understand language
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Nishit Sinha
- The Complete CAT Digest by Arun Sharma – As per experts, this book is a must for every CAT aspirant.
- As per statements of CAT topper, one should study basics of QA from the material provided by TIME and then move to Arun Sharma’s book
Don’t forget to solve CAT Sample Papers and Mock Tests
It’s very important to practice CAT Sample Papers and go for Mock Tests as this will help you to know your weak and strong points. You can also master the skill of time management by timely solving CAT Sample Papers.
Face to Face CAT Common Admission Test by Arihant Publishers is a top choice to solve CAT previous year question papers.
Go through Online Blogs and Apps on CAT for best study material
Apart from books, coaching study material, mock tests and advanced sectional tests it is also advised that you practice using applications on CAT test. You can download these apps either on Andoid, iOS and Windows platforms. One should also read blogs time to time as they will solve your queries related to any question or to exchange preparation material and tips.
So, if you haven’t started your preparation yet, just commence with your preparation as it might help you in scoring a good percentile.