CAT 2018 is the most prominent management entrance for taking admission into IIMs and other top business schools for the academic session 2019-2020. CAT exam is held annually every year and is conducted by one of the IIMs on rotational basis. This year, IIM-Calcutta is conducting CAT exam.
With little more than a month a left for CAT 2018, candidates need to streamline their preparation strategy. DI (Data Interpretation) and LR (Logical Reasoning) can often be a damper for students due to the logical nature of questions. Here we bring you some useful tips to overcome CAT 2018 DI-LR section carefully. CAT 2018 is scheduled on November 25, 2018.
Let’s take a close look at the exam pattern and syllabus for CAT 2018 before diving into the tips for DI-LR section preparation.
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
- The question paper is broadly divided into three sections namely Quantitative Aptitude, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension.
- There are a total of 100 questions in the paper. Division of each section on the basis of number of questions is done as:-
|Subject||Number of Questions|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||32|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||34|
- 180 minutes are allotted to solve the question paper.
- 3 marks are awarded for every correct answer and 1 mark is deducted for each incorrect response.
CAT 2018 Syllabus at Glance
The brief overview of syllabus for CAT 2018 is as follows:
Quantitative Ability: Percentages and its applications, Ratio and its applications, Algebra, Numbers and its applications and geometry and its applications.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning: Table, Pie charts, Line graphs, puzzles, blood relations, direction sense, arrangement, data structures, series, coding-decoding, clocks and calendars.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension: Grammar, vocabulary, critical reasoning and its numerical applications and reading comprehension.
Tips to Ace DI (Data Interpretation) and LR (Logical Reasoning)
Looking at trends from last two years, many CAT aspirants went down due to the DI and LR section which indicates that their difficulty level is higher than other sections of the paper.
Tips for preparing DI and LR thus can turn out to be of great help for the students seeking decent percentile in CAT 2018. Here are some tips to prepare DI and LR in an effective way:-
- Do not panic: This is the first thing needed while you attempt these sections. Do not lose your cool and don’t panic.
- Skim through the sections: Spend around 10 minutes on scanning the section and know what questions you are going to attempt. Mostly, the questions containing “If” and “Cannot be determined” are suggested to leave.
- Set priority: While you go through the sections, set the priority according from the sections you are good in and so on.
- Regular mocks: Give as many mock tests as you can. This would help you know you strengths and weak points. Work on both of them.
- Analyze your performance: With each mock test you give, analyze your performance. Try to attempt more questions in the next mock test. Thus, you will learn to manage time and speed.
CAT 2018 Application Form
Registration for CAT 2018 started from Aug 8, 2018 and ended on Sep 26, 2018 at 11:59 pm. The application form was available on iimcat.ac.in and the hall ticket for examination will be also released here. The number of applicants has raised this year from 2.31 Lakhs (last year) to 2.41 Lakhs. This is the highest number of registrations recorded in last few years.
Image Correction Window
If a candidate has made mistakes while filling up the form, he/she could edit the details to make the form acceptable. The image correction window for CAT was enabled on Sep 27, 2018 and got closed on Sep 30, 2018. The facility was available for only those candidates who have made the payment before the deadline of application form.
So, this was all about CAT 2018 exam along with some handy tips on data interpretation and logical reasoning. Well, then all the best wishes for the examination coming ahead and keep visiting us again for more tips!